[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Official forum for the .

Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Postby Dr Memory » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Dr Memory

Re: Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Postby Dr Memory » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Dr Memory

Emulating Cue Ball - 2D Limitations

Postby Dr Memory » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

I have learned that even emulating simple cue-ball follow (top spin) and draw (back spin) is beyond the capabilities of a collision callback alone.

The cue-ball deviation from the cut angle is at first parabolic, before it becomes linear. Emulating this would require the game software to monitor the cue-ball post-collision, making continuous adjustments until the linear stage is reached.

Fortunately this parabolic stage is relatively small, so my 2D game will have to be content with simulating draw and follow, by making one-off velocity vector adjustments.

Perhaps the callback function can make an educated guess about the mean deviation for the parabolic stage, and the time for which this applies, and the game software can apply the 2nd deviation at the right time, i.e. a dog-leg trajectory as a slightly better solution than a linear one.
Dr Memory

Re: Emulating Cue Ball - 2D Limitations

Postby Dr Memory » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 am

Attachments
CC2_Example1.jpg
Parabolic-then-linear: Example
CC2_Example1.jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 9227 times
Dr Memory

Breakthrough! Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Postby Dr Memory » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Dr Memory

Re: Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Postby Dr Memory » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 am

Dr Memory

Update: Emulating Billiard Ball Behaviour

Postby Dr Memory » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 am

This is turning into a blog ...

Ok, in the week since my last post, I found myself wrestling somewhat with the finer points of the math involved, and decided to delve into the Stanford code in an attempt to understand how it hangs together.

When I had done that for a few days, I realised that it was possible to teach this library (which I have now renamed SnookerFiz since I've done a heap of work on it) about pocket geometry, which I had pointed out earlier as a major drawback.

I started by implementing straight-line gates, and through learning how to do that I got a better understanding of the physics/maths handling, and was considering returning to my Chipmunk2D model when the penny dropped.

The tools for TCPE (aka "True Curvature Pocket Entrances") are in fact available. A snooker table has curved pocket entrances, and these are essentially arcs of a circle (see image above). Since SnookerFiz already predicts exactly when balls collide, I can use that same method to predict intersections with my curved "gates". This involves solving quartic equations, but the solvers are already provided, to support the ball-to-ball collision predictions, so its essentially a cut-and-paste job.

That changes everything wrt my ultimate objective - I can have the smarts of the predictive model, and not have to do any more math other than the curved rail section intersection stuff, which I have now largely done. The library can be married to a rendering interface (by generating simple interpolation data regarding balls in motion), and can also be used for its original purpose, ie computationally efficient modelling of alternative shots/strategy/etc.

I doubt now that I'll ever get around to evolving the Chipmunk model further, not because it can't be done, but because SnookerFiz offers so many nice features. 8-)
Dr Memory

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics