[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Segment shape doubts

Segment shape doubts

Official forum for the .

Segment shape doubts

Postby Baxnie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Baxnie

Re: Segment shape doubts

Postby slembcke » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Assuming you mean the ChipmunkDebugDrawFatSegment() function in 6.x, it's using the z-coordinate to set the segment's length using a transform matrix. That way I could draw everything from the same vertex data without having to generate new data for each draw call.

The radius on the segment shape just turns it into a pill shape. As if you centered a circle with the same radius over each endpoint and drew around them. It looks like your debug draw function is correct. Maybe a screenshot of a collision would help debug it?

If you only want to put a segment shape on your background objects so you can query for their bounding boxes, then putting a segment across the diagonal will work fine yes. Is this for culling renderable objects or something? You might find a more hierarchical structure to be more efficient, but I suppose BB queries will probably have perfectly acceptable performance too.

ta/tb/tn are the a/b/n values transformed to global coordinates. I would not generally recommend reading directly out of those.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Baxnie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Firstly, thanks for your quick answer.

The collision was weird while testing the game, maybe I've made a mistake somewhere else. I'll make a better debugging so I can properly test collisions.

My camera class is pretty simple, despite keep aspect ratio and stuff used for parallax, it's just a cpBB.
I'm adding shapes to the space and, before drawing, calling queryBB at camera's area to retrieve shapes -> objects.
As you said, BB queries gave me a good performance. (until now)
I don't get what you mean by a more hierarchical structure. How would that work?

ta/tb might be what I was looking for!
I was having a small trouble when decided to add static shapes to Space's static body (instead of creating a single body for every object).
As the static body position is (0,0), all my shapes were drawn there.
I've spent a lot of time trying to figure that out, however I ended up creating a 'position' variable used by static objects, which is passed to drawDebugShape function, as shown in the previous post.

So, how does a/b/ta/tb work on static and non-static bodies exactly?
Baxnie

Postby slembcke » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:03 pm

"I don't get what you mean by a more hierarchical structure. How would that work? "

the idea is that you could group your sprites into a tree like structure. Like a building might be composed of multiple sprites. So you check the bounding box of the building as a whole, if that is in the camera's view, then check start checking each sprite it is made from. Then you can group a bunch of buildings in a block into a group and apply the same logic. The idea is that you add a few extra bounding box checks, but when you find one that fails, you only had to try one bounding box instead of a dozen. Chipmunk's spatial index is based on a BB tree that guesses how to best organize objects into groups. If you have a lot of static objects, you might be able to get better performance if they are grouped by hand.

Of course you should only make a big change like that if the profiler makes it seem like a good idea. ;)
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics