Chipmunk pricing

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
SteveB

Chipmunk pricing

Post by SteveB »

I've recently been playing around with the pro trial of Chipmunk, and I must say I'm very impressed! I expected the whole physics thing to be a massive brain-ache, but even for a fairly novice programmer such as myself, I've had no trouble integrating the engine into a few little test apps.

I'm not really interested in the free version; my general thinking is that if I'm going to spend a lot of time working with Chipmunk, then I may as well be using the pro version, as I think the pricing is very fair for such a professional quality product, plus I feel much more comfortable working with the Objective C wrapper.

I'd like to go ahead and buy the pro version, as I'm planning on using it for some commercial projects in the future anyway, and I'd like to get rid of the trial version notification in the meantime.

If I buy a license now, will this be valid for future versions of Chipmunk, or will I have to buy a new license each time, or pay for an upgrade? If this is the case, then I'd rather wait until I'm ready to release, so not to have to purchase twice.

Thanks.
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Chipmunk pricing

Post by slembcke »

So your license never expires, but we do plan on having a fractional upgrade price for Chipmunk 7. Though that's still very much in the planning stages where we are experimenting with new major features to see if they are even feasible. My hope is to have something close by the end of the year. Since implementing brand new, unknown functionality is rarely straightforward that is definitely a hope more than a guess though.

Anyway. That's probably not quite the answer you were looking for. You'll never be cut off from re-downloading Chipmunk 6, and we'll continue to back-port bug fixes for a while after 7 is released. So we won't just be dumping it and moving on.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Thanks slembcke,

I'll go ahead and purchase version 6 then. I imagine I'll have completed the project I have in mind by the end of the year anyway, and to be honest I'm amazed and really quite grateful that these sort of professional quality tools exist at such a reasonable price, so I'd also like to do my bit in contributing to the future development of Chipmunk.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Thanks for the kind words. :) Pro sales are really what fund Chipmunk's development so we don't have to rely full time on contracting work. So thanks for that as well. :D
jcmeyer5

Post by jcmeyer5 »

Yes. Chipmunk2D Physics is an excellent package. Since we are talking pricing, if one were to purchase an Indie license, what would the upgrade cost from Indie to Pro look like? Not sure that is the route I would take, but that would be valuable information to know. If there is no opportunity to upgrade versions, might help people better choose the correct product.
Chipmunk Pro and cocos2D 2.x branch for iOS development
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Just the difference in the price of the two. In the past we just handled that on a case by case basis (there has only been a couple) through paypal, but my business partner is adding a license upgrade page to the store over the last week to make it more automatic.