[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - How to handle a collision that is happening to fast?

How to handle a collision that is happening to fast?

Official forum for the .

How to handle a collision that is happening to fast?

Postby Ichigo » Thu May 10, 2012 7:22 am

Ichigo

Re: How to handle a collision that is happening to fast?

Postby slembcke » Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 am

You are using Space Manager right? What is "self" in that method? I'm guessing that it's probably your layer.

You generally put the collision handler on your game state/scene/controller object. I assume you want "self" to refer to the bullet, but it doesn't work like that. When you want to access a specific object, you need to do that through the data pointers on the shapes or bodies.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ichigo » Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am

Ichigo

Postby slembcke » Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm

slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ichigo » Thu May 10, 2012 3:46 pm

When i run the application i get this:

[cpCCSprite prepareToDie]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x95c0ec
Ichigo

Postby slembcke » Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm

That means your shape's data pointer was pointing to a cpCCSprite and not a Bullet.

I think cpCCSprite is a SpaceManager thing.
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ichigo » Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm

But that is what doesn't make any sense, cuz i'm doing:

shape->data = self;

Being the shape a cpShape instance.

And the self a reference to the Bullet class.

I really don't understand. But tell me this, is this is way it' can detect multiple colisions? or is it because of that CCD (Continue Collision Detection) thing?

The collisions normally happened one second after another so.. it's certanly not for that.
Ichigo

Postby slembcke » Thu May 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, but are you sure it's not being overwritten later by SpaceManager? I have little idea how SpaceManager works as I didn't write it, and haven't looked at it much. I know that it provides a sprite class that synchronizes sprites to shapes by using the shape's data pointer.

I'm not quite sure I understood the CCD question, but Chipmunk does not perform CCD.
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ichigo » Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 am

I'm not sure if the space manager change it or not.

Anyway, the question about CCD was because you still didn't answer my thread question.

How can i make sure that the detecion is always detect between the bullet and the wall?
Ichigo

Postby slembcke » Fri May 11, 2012 7:34 am

Oh, I misunderstood the question then.

If you want to guaranteed detection of the bullet collision, you'll want to use segment queries (raycasts) instead of rigid bodies for the bullets. They are simpler, faster and more accurate anyway.
slembcke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics