[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Navigation in 2D space

Navigation in 2D space

Official forum for the .

Navigation in 2D space

Postby Ostsol » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Ostsol

Re: Navigation in 2D space

Postby slembcke » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:32 pm

I've actually done something similar before for an autopilot for a prototype I made.

What I did was to blend the two thrust values together. I'd add the maximum thrust in the direction to negate the relative velocity to the maximum thrust in the direction to accelerate/decelerate the ship. (I'd also blend in other thrust values for orienting the ship so the biggest thruster would point in the direction of the greatest need) Once all these thruster values were added up, I'd scale them all back so that no thruster would be running at more than 100% power.

I played with the blending values a bit, but it always seemed to work fine when the weights were all the same for different priorities with the potential exception of orientation which was better with a smaller weight. It worked well in cases when you were close to the target, but had a large difference in velocity as well as when you were far away with a small relative velocity. This was because the smaller factor was usually eliminated quickly, thus dropping it's effective blending value to 0 and giving priority to other factors. This was very cool to watch, especially when you assigned a group of other ships to fly in formation with yourself.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ostsol » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, formations one of the things I eventually want to simulate with this.

By the way, it seems that angles in Chipmunk are oriented in a rather different way from what I'm used to. I expected pi/2 to point directly to the right, but instead it points left. The rotation vector for that angle is (0,1), but I expect that to be straight up. I don't think that it's my Python bindings doing this (I'm not using PyMunk; I made my own using Pyrex/Cython). What's with this?
Ostsol

Postby slembcke » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 pm

I think you have your coordinates switched or something. (0, 1) is correct and points up on the y axis. I use the "classical" definition of radians or whatever you want to call it. 0 radians starts on the x axis and goes around counterclockwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Ostsol » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Ah, I had not known about that definition. I've always taken for granted declarations in various tutorials for other systems that 0 degrees is always up. I'll have to adjust some of the shapes I create to take this into account, too. Thanks!
Ostsol

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics