[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Multigrab and static objects (Objective Chipmunk)

Multigrab and static objects (Objective Chipmunk)

Official forum for the .

Multigrab and static objects (Objective Chipmunk)

Postby Derek Huby » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I have a scene with a set of game objects resting on a static shape (the floor). I've implemented multigrab so that I can move the game objects around, and that works fine. The problem is that when I touch on the 'floor' object, the game objects fall straight through it!

I've tried reading up on this, and found plenty relating to the 'old' method of doing this, cpMouse. With this approach, it was necessary to set the GRABABLE_MASK_BIT on the layers property of shapes that you wanted to ignore when clicking. Is there something similar that I should be doing with multigrab?

Thanks in anticipation...
Derek Huby

Re: Multigrab and static objects (Objective Chipmunk)

Postby slembcke » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 pm

The issues is that you are creating a constraint between two infinite mass objects (the ground and the control body used by ChipmunkMultiGrap). When that happens, you cause a lot of the properties of the two bodies to end up as NaNs and all sorts of bad things happen. So that's what setting up the filtering using GRABABLE_MASK_BIT does, is prevents those objects from being grabbed in the first place.

I should add an assertion for that. I could have it ignore grabs to infinite mass bodies as well, but then it's possible that you might have an infinite mass object cover up a grabable one, preventing it from being selected.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Derek Huby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:46 am

Derek Huby

Postby Derek Huby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am

Derek Huby

Postby slembcke » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 am

Yup. That's the general idea.

I have a little description of how you can use the layers as rules in the docs here:
http://chipmunk-physics.net/release/Chi ... -Filtering

I've thought about making a little API to help with that. It's a little confusing to do on paper and type in lists of hex numbers with specific bits set. I've done it a couple of times now though. It's pretty handy.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics