An introduction to game physics with Chipmunk

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
alexmipego

An introduction to game physics with Chipmunk

Post by alexmipego »

Hi,

Just to let you guys know I've written a tutorial for Chipmunk beginners. You can check it here:

http://www.alexandre-gomes.com/articles/chipmunk
maximile

Re: An introduction to game physics with Chipmunk

Post by maximile »

Looks like a great tutorial. I imagine it'll help a lot of people interested in making iPhone games.
emptythetill

Post by emptythetill »

This is a great tut, it works well. Also, have to add my thanks to alex for taking the time to reply to my email. :)

Now to work out pins and curved ground planes. :)
clint

Post by clint »

Thanks Alex--tutorials like this often take more time than people realize.

If anyone else finds Alex's tutorial helpful, they might consider taking a second to check out some of the ads--a very easy way to say "thanks."
Rawlyn

Post by Rawlyn »

Great work alex - it's thanks to people like you that the open source community is so "open", and not just "free" (if that makes any sense).

I'm particularly impressed that you explain clearly and simply the concepts of polygon winding, and of convex hulls. It's clear from the amount of talk on this forum about these subjects that they are not clearly understood by all, and any effort to help will always be appreciated.

I'll have another look when I'm at home so I can click some ads - they are filtered from me while I'm at work.
[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Rawlyn][img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/black/Rawlyn.jpg[/img][/url]
GregX999

Post by GregX999 »

Hey all,

I just downloaded Chipmunk today and found this thread about your tutorial.

Following the tutorial, I created a new project, created a new group, added the files from the chipmunk src folder, and when I do a build, I get an error:

Code: Select all

Building target “chipmunk” of project “chipmunk” with configuration “Debug” — (1 error)

cd "/Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons, tutorials & code examples/chipmunk"
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
    setenv PATH "/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator2.2.1.sdk "-L/Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons, tutorials & code examples/chipmunk/build/Debug-iphonesimulator" "-F/Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons, tutorials & code examples/chipmunk/build/Debug-iphonesimulator" -filelist "/Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons, tutorials & code examples/chipmunk/build/chipmunk.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/chipmunk.build/Objects-normal/i386/chipmunk.LinkFileList" -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework CoreGraphics -o "/Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons, tutorials & code examples/chipmunk/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/chipmunk.app/chipmunk"
ld: -filelist file not found: /Users/greg/Documents/xCode Projects/Lessons

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Command /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1
The same thing happened when I tried to run the moon buggy demo - I thought there was a bug in the demo. Maybe not...

I only started to learn C and xCode a month ago so I have no idea what this error might mean.
GregX999

Post by GregX999 »

Doh!! I figured it out. I can't have a folder in the path with commas or ampersands. I renamed the folder "Lessons, tutorials & code examples" to "Lessons tutorials and code examples" and it builds now.

Let that be a lesson to me!!