Chipmunk and Unity2D

Chipmunk2D Bindings for the Unity3D engine
Jool

Chipmunk and Unity2D

Post by Jool »

Hello,

Happy new year to everybody.

I would like to know how Chipmunk2D for Unity integrates with the new sprite system in Unity 4.3.

If I use Chipmunk2D can I use the Physics Layer in Unity to control if objects should collide with each other or not?

Also I would like to know if Chipmunk2D for Unity is still in development and if new features are going to be released in the future.

Thanks a lot.
Steve Oldmeadow

Re: Chipmunk and Unity2D

Post by Steve Oldmeadow »

@Jool - there is currently no integration with the 2D features in Unity 4.3 as the current release (1.0.3) predates Unity 4.3.
Exploding Rabbit

Post by Exploding Rabbit »

Personally I think Chipmunk2D in Unity is superior to Box2D in pretty much every way except performance on some platforms. Sprite rendering is completely separate from physics, so there is no reason for that to be integrated. Chipmunk's physics layers are not integrated with Unity's layers, and that is a good thing. With Chipmunk, you get 32 layers completely for physics instead of sharing them with other things like Unity does.

Personally, I think Chipmunk2D in Unity is the best thing ever, and I think it should be marketed more so that more people know how much better it is than Unity's current implementation of Box2D. I'll let the developer answer your other question.
Jool

Post by Jool »

Hi,

Thanks you guys for your answers.

So to be clear, with Chipmunk you can create Physics and decide which ones collide with each other like you do normally in Unity?

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/C ... ision.html

If that's the case I guess I would give Chipmunk for Unity a go.

I am also wondering, if I use Chipmunk and create a PolygonShape Collider for a Sprite, is the collider going to take the shape of the sprite automatically?

Thanks a lot.
Steve Oldmeadow

Post by Steve Oldmeadow »

@jool - regarding layers have a read of this section in the Chipmunk manual. http://chipmunk-physics.net/release/Chi ... -Filtering

As for your second question, no you can't auto generate a collider from a sprite using the current version of Chipmunk.