Unity 4.3

Chipmunk2D Bindings for the Unity3D engine
bzor

Unity 4.3

Post by bzor »

Looks like Box2D is now implemented in Unity 4.3.. Any thoughts on this? Has there been any speed tests comparing the new 2D physics and Chipmunk?
binarypat

Re: Unity 4.3

Post by binarypat »

I modified the pachinko demo to use Box2d and Chipmunk is so much faster in that simple test, to me it makes no sense to continue messing with Box2d.

On my mac in the editor...
- Box2d comes to halt at ~500
- Chipmunk at ~500 is still 60fps!
binarypat

Post by binarypat »

I ran it on my iPOD 5 and saw similar results.

Based in these tests Chipmunk is at least 2x faster.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Wow... So somebody that had 4.3 beta access also said that Chipmunk was way faster. They didn't give any numbers though. I haven't had time to play with 4.3 yet. It's still sitting in my downloads folder. :(

Writing native Unity plugins is *way* harder than it needs to be, and there were a few times I almost gave up. Good to know I did something right. :)

We actually approached Unity to talk to them about the Pro version of Chipmunk that is ARM optimized. Oddly the response we got back was "Yeah, but the optimized version isn't open source right?".
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
binarypat

Post by binarypat »

Hard to believe that they didn't at least look at Chipmunk.

Some people are very stubborn that way, kinda like 'stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime'.

Before Chipmunk, the built-in physics engine was always high on list of things to fix performance wise, I am happy to for performance saving!

Keep up the good work.