ChipmunkVB

Share your projects and Chipmunk enhancements.
ncarigon

ChipmunkVB

Post by ncarigon »

Hi everyone,

I was toying around with Chipmunk Physics and decided to make a VB.Net port of it since that's what I prefer. Hopefully someone can get some good use out of it. I tried to keep all the Chipmunk syntax as-is, so there was very little code change required for the demos. Sources and compiled code are included in the attachment. Suggestions/comments are welcome, especially for the two remaining bugs still present. Please go easy on the the sloppy/hacked demo infrastructure coding ;) . Check the readme file for more details.

*edit*
Had to remove the OpenTK DLLs from the attachment to make it smaller. You'll need to download it from http://www.opentk.com/ and extract OpenTK.DLL and OpenTK.Utilities.DLL to the compiled directory in order to view the demo app.
coolman

Re: ChipmunkVB

Post by coolman »

Congrats

How is the perfomance?
ncarigon

Re: ChipmunkVB

Post by ncarigon »

Performance isn't bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. This release was really just to get it working and doesn't have many .Net optimizations other than what was required. Most demos run well and have no noticeable slowdown, but some have a lot.

For example, my conversion of the Plink demo gets a framerate Min/Max/Avg of 1/13/10 while the original code gets 11/39/31. That was on an Aspire One. As a side note, I fixed a small bug I left in Plink while running the test. Also, using the Delete option for the mouse instead of the default cpMouse behavior slows down most demos significantly.

Now that the vast majority of things are working, I'll probably try to optimize it a bit.