[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Kinematic Collisions?

Kinematic Collisions?

Discuss new features and future development.

Kinematic Collisions?

Postby Jason » Sat May 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Jason

Re: Kinematic Collisions?

Postby slembcke » Mon May 30, 2016 1:05 am

Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Mon May 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the response.

That makes sense. So, I made my entity dynamic and gave it a mass of 1000 (not sure how big of a mass is sufficient). The problem I have now is that the entity is slowed down when initially hitting the segment, but then passes straight through it and speeds up rapidly after. (Can't even notice a slow down when the segment's radius is set to 0).

I can't use Chipmunk's gravity handling (through cpSpaceSetGravity) because the entity falls like a ton of bricks due to its huge mass. So I set the velocity downward as I did before. But this seems to break collisions.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I essentially want what I believe is called a character controller. The ability to kinematically control entities, let the physics engine handle the collision handling and proper sliding along the walls, but let me handle the motion code.

Given the complexity of collision handling on the level I'll need to for my game, I didn't want to have to write it myself.

Edit: Setting the mass to 1 and using Chipmunk's gravity handling solves the collision problem, but then I can't use setVelocity (because it seems to override whatever chipmunk is doing with gravity and keeps me stuck standing in the air). That would bring me to using a fully dynamic simulation, which I was trying to avoid.
Jason

Postby slembcke » Tue May 31, 2016 11:16 am

This needs a more detailed answer than I'm able to give for the next couple days until I get home from a conference. Ping the thread again on Thursday if I forget.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Return to Features/Development