Autogeometry on Win / Android

Discuss new features and future development.
rrakkola

Autogeometry on Win / Android

Post by rrakkola »

Hi,

I'm interested in getting Autogeometry related features (mainly basic sampler & tilecache) to work on windows & android. My main problems are the ChipmunkAutogeometry and ChipmunkTileCache classes (don't really need the pointcloud & imagesampler), as they are written in obj-c.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience on trying to get these to work in win environment or if anyone has ported these classes to C or C++ code and has any good advice to offer?

Cheers,
Riku
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Autogeometry on Win / Android

Post by slembcke »

Oof. So it's something I want to do, and something I plan to do, but I'm not sure when I'll have the time. :-\ There are always too many things to do and not enough time to do them.

Sorry if that is a vague answer.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
rrakkola

Post by rrakkola »

Ok, thanks for a quick answer. I understand that you must be busy with the upcoming unity version. I'll just try to port the classes to C.

Btw. Will the unity version be c# port running on top of mono or will it use a static library? and if so, can it really run in html5 environment? We have been using chipmunk with unity for a long time now as a lib and it's been great, but it would certainly be nice to be able to build web builds with physics as well :)
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

It's a native code plugin. Beyond the effort of porting Chipmunk to C#, it would require rewriting most of the C# code we made for the Unity version so it's way more work than we could afford to maintain. :( I think the performance would be up being very poor as well.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
rrakkola

Post by rrakkola »

Hi,

Here's basic tilecache & simple sampler code converted to C if anyone needs them. I just quickly ported what I needed, so didn't port any image samplers etc... But at least the tilecache implementation could be of use to someone.

- Riku
Attachments
SimpleSampler.c
Simple sampler implementation using C
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 1335 times
BasicTileCache.c
TileCache C
(12.34 KiB) Downloaded 1296 times
AutoGeometry.h
Header file for tile cache & sampler
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times
Babblu0

Post by Babblu0 »

What you could do is decompose each tile into concave polygons though. While you can't join loops from adjacent tiles together without potentially recomputing a huge area, you can output concave polygons for individual tiles. This doesn't have a lot of advantages though (I can think of several disadvantages).