Continuous Collision Detection

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
xanather

Continuous Collision Detection

Post by xanather »

Is there any chance for Continuous Collision Detection support be added to Chipmunk?

I am thinking about using Chipmunk for client side and server side physics. I would like to have a low physics/game tick rate for the server due to CPU time being precious on multiplayer servers. Due to having no Continuous Collision Detection support the server has players going through walls.

Was thinking about using Box2D though my game is in C.
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Continuous Collision Detection

Post by slembcke »

I've been wanting to experiment with adding speculative collisions as an alternative for a few years. The branch hasn't been touched in almost as many years, and never really worked. :-\ So for all practical purposes, no, CCD won't be making it's way into Chipmunk any time soon.

As an aside, Chipmunk used to run a couple times faster than Box2D doing the same thing with CCD turned off, and turning it on is quite far from free. It's one of the bigger reasons why I've never really pushed for it myself. It seemed like it was just better to turn up the simulation rate and get a higher quality simulation overall, than to have CCD at a much lower rate, but similar performance.

It is for sure not so simple though. Depending on what your simulation is like, the performance differences could vary wildly. I know Chipmunk doesn't solve everyone's problems and I'm Ok with that. ;) Either way, good luck!
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/