[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Spring Query

Spring Query

Official forum for the .

Spring Query

Postby xibit » Wed May 05, 2010 4:03 am

Morning Chipmunkers

Firstly, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with Chipmunk. Eventhough I am new to physics engines I am found my introduction quite rewarding thus far.

I currently have a ball that I want to be pulled towards and held at another point. I currently have a collision callback that creates a damped spring between the ball and the sensor shape. The collision call back works well however the spring seems to push away from the sensor point rather than away. I assume this is due to the wrong parameters in my cpApplyDampedSpring call. Could someone show me an example of a spring call that would pull 2 points together?

Not sure what other info you guys would need if any to let me know and I will post it if I know it :-P

There is a good chance that I have completely miss understood the purpose on a Damped Spring so I am happy to receive suggestions of alternates.

Thanks in advance
xibit

Re: Spring Query

Postby mallyone » Wed May 05, 2010 7:38 am

Would you mind posted a snippet of your code?

One thing that comes to mind is your restLength in the spring might be set longer than you want, giving the illusion of push?

m...
mallyone

Postby slembcke » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 am

If you want to pull two points together, the distance between the points has to be greater than the rest length. Presumably you just want to use a rest length of 0.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby xibit » Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 am

xibit

Postby slembcke » Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 am

That looks fine. You said that you are only guessing about what the code is. I'm guessing that you have some parameters flipped or something.

Also, cpv(a->body->p.x, a->body.p.y) is equivalent to just a->body->p. You don't need to copy the vector like that.
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby xibit » Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 pm

xibit

Postby slembcke » Wed May 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Oh! Crap, and I looked right at it to give you the advice about generating the anchor points. :p

The anchor points are relative, so you are using anchor points that are as far away from the bodies as the bodies are from (0, 0). You want to be using cpvzero for both anchor points.
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby xibit » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 am

xibit

Postby slembcke » Thu May 06, 2010 10:27 am

Chipmunk doesn't really track one-to-many relationships. While it could, I usually find it's much better to organize that in the game code instead.
slembcke
Site Admin

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics