Insight about how Chipmunk works...

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
Anthony

Insight about how Chipmunk works...

Post by Anthony »

Hello,

As part of my PhD research I have to simulate a toy-world and in it an articulated "arm" with actuated "pivot" joints... and, Chipmunk 5 looking so nice, I choose it.
Actually it is very nicelly coded, but (quite understandably) not yet very well documented.
I tried to understand some of the constraints implementation to use them, or adapt them, but despite spending some time "reverse engineering" the code it didn't get anywhere.

Does anyone have some links to the model (aka rationale and equations) underlying constraint resolution ?
What the internal quantities like bias, jAcc and so on means ?

Or maybe could someone just tell me how to combine cpPivotJoint, cpDampedRotarySpring, cpRotaryLimitJoint (and cpSimpleMotor ?)
between the two same body at the same point to achieve a compliant actuated pivot joint ?

Anyway, once I undestand some of what is done, I am willing to do some documentation work / code commenting :-)

Thanks a lot for the clean work already done !
--
Anthony
zaerl

Re: Insight about how Chipmunk works...

Post by zaerl »

The best thing you can do is to take a look at the trunk demos. They cover a lot of different aspects of chipmunk.
Tam Toucan

Post by Tam Toucan »

This little snippet provides some insight to the constraints. http://www.slembcke.net/forums/viewtopi ... lank#p3097
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for the answer. The link to some explanation of biasCoef, maxBias and maxForce was really valuable :-)