Not wanting collision callbacks

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
iisystems2

Not wanting collision callbacks

Post by iisystems2 »

Hi,

I'm pretty sure at some point I had seen the ability in Chipmunk to define shape classes (cpShapeClass?) or possibly collision classes for the purpose of NOT receiving collision callbacks for shapes within the same shape/collision class. At the time, I didn't see the need for this, but now see I am constantly getting callbacks from overlapping static shapes in my game which I am routing to a one-line (return 0) callback, but nonetheless am incurring the overhead of the calls. Now that I'm looking for the information again, I can't find it either in the forums or in the documentaion.

Could someone please point me to info on how to define shapes into a common class so I will not receive callbacks on their collisions?

Thanks very much!

Scott
maximile

Re: Not wanting collision callbacks

Post by maximile »

I thought that static shapes didn't collide with each other. Are you adding them as static shapes?

Anyway, you can filter collisions by layer or group. Sounds like either of them would suit your needs. I can't find the info in the new docs, but here's the relevant bits from the old docs:

Code: Select all

typedef struct cpShape{
    cpBB bb;

unsigned long collision_type;
    unsigned long group;
    unsigned long layers;

void *data;

cpBody *body;
    cpFloat e, u;
    cpVect surface_v;
} cpShape;
group: Shapes in the same non-zero group do not generate collisions. Useful when creating an object out of many shapes that you don’t want to self collide. Defaults to 0;
layers: Shapes only collide if they are in the same bit-planes. i.e. (a->layers & b->layers) != 0 By default, a shape occupies all 32 bit-planes.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

maximile wrote:I thought that static shapes didn't collide with each other. Are you adding them as static shapes?
Correct, static shapes are never queried against each other.

The new docs have the layers and groups explanation underneath the struct just like in the old ones. http://code.google.com/p/chipmunk-physics/wiki/cpShape
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
iisystems2

Post by iisystems2 »

Thank you both maximile and slembcke! I knew I was getting callbacks I didn't want when nothing was moving, and sure enough, yes-- one of these shapes was not static (because I had the intent to make it move later) and I didn't look close enough. Nonetheless, cpShape.group was what I was looking for in general and I'm now making use of it.