[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Build path for MSVC/Windows.

Build path for MSVC/Windows.

Official forum for the .

Build path for MSVC/Windows.

Postby slembcke » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 am

Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Build path for MSVC/Windows.

Postby Michael Buckley » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I second the vote for the third option. Not only is it the easiest option, but it keeps the benefits of of the C99 code for the platforms that support it. It is rather sad that, despite being standardized in 1999/2000, that it still has so little support. In fact, the toughest sticking point my team faced when it decided whether or not to adopt Chipmunk was that the C99 features would limit the platforms the game would be portable to. Not that we were planning on porting the game to more than OS X/Windows/Linux/BSD, but since we were going with pretty standard C code, it would have been trivial to port it to, for example, the DS or PSP.

Although I have next to no experience with MSVC, Chipmunk compiles without any changes under MinGW. Unfortunately, the MinGW DLL files are not compatible with the MSVC DLL files. Using MSVC's lib.exe cool, it is possible to create a chipmunk.lib which, I have been told, will allow the MSVC project to statically link to the MinGW dll. What I am not sure of, however, is whether this allows the DLL to be used with other languages, such as C#, which I am told that DLLs compiled with MSVC can do.

I may be wrong on some of the details, as I am not a Windows person. I do know that Chipmunk compiles without any changes using MinGW, and that the DLL files are not compatible across compilers.
Michael Buckley

Postby extralongpants » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:16 pm

I put together a VS2005 project for chipmunk a while back. I wouldn't call it a trivial task; I think it took me around 3 hours to get the library compiling cleanly.

I'm sure you could come up with a list of simple guidelines to follow to make sure the library is at least close to compile-able under MSVC, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, especially if you don't have direct access to a Windows machine.

I think your best bet for now would be to find some one who can compile the binaries for Windows using gcc at every major release, and to give up on maintaining a Visual Studio project.

[EDIT] - I don't know if I've ever tried using non-MSVC-built libs in an MSVC project, so I can't really comment on that bit.

-Chris
extralongpants

Postby Michael Buckley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm

I did not have a lot of time at work today, but I did try to create a chipmunk.lib file from the MingGW chipmunk.dll, using information found on the MinGW site. While this worked, when I attempted to compile the moon buggy demo sing the MSVC command-line tool cl.exe, it ha trouble with chipmunk.h, and possibly others (cl.exe stops giving warnings and errors after 100). I am not very familiar with MSVC, but it seems that even if we can produce a DLL which MSVC can use, it will be useless unless MSVC can read the header files. It seemed to be having a lot of trouble with the inline keyword, but there were probably other problems as well.

Has anyone who has compiled Chipmunk with MSVC confirmed that the header files are not compatible with MSVC as-is?
Michael Buckley

Postby smg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 am

Yep, they're not compatible, but it's just about 20 minutes of work to get it running. Just let it compile as c++ code and fix the remaining compiler errors. Most of them are implicit casts, and some c99-only constructs, that need to be changed. It's really not that hard if you just read the compiler output.
smg

Postby slembcke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 pm

slembcke
Site Admin

Postby smg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 pm

smg

Postby Michael Buckley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:11 pm

Michael Buckley

Postby slembcke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:45 pm

The headers are wrapped as extern C, so it should work fine. The catch being any of the static inline functions that I've defined in the various headers. I remember someone changing everything to __inline, would a simple #ifdef macro work for that?
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby dodecahedron » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:04 pm

dodecahedron

Next

Return to Chipmunk2D Physics