Dice simulation

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
Alobi

Dice simulation

Post by Alobi »

Hi all,

I'm researching desperately on the best way to implement a dice rolling simulation in my iPhone game (very similar to this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyzPlbY-tYU). I've looked at countless iphones physics engines, but they all seem overkill for my needs. Would Chipmunk Physics be able to accomplish something like this? If so, could you point me towards a tutorial that covers this topic? I really appreciate it!
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Dice simulation

Post by slembcke »

Chipmunk is a 2D physics engine. To simulate dice, you'll need to use a 3D physics engine such. ODE and Bullet are open source, and I believe you can get an indie friendly version of Havok and PhysX.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
Alobi

Post by Alobi »

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, those 3D engines are over my head (or is this concept over my head)? What if I wanted to simulate a dice roll from a top down perspective - if the dice came shooting out from the side of the screen, that would theoretically only be using 2 dimensions right? I'm trying to think of the simplest approach to this problem. Thanks again for your input.
josephg

Post by josephg »

In 2 dimensions, you can't represent a cube. You can only have squares. There is no 'towards the camera' direction for the dice to roll.
Alobi

Post by Alobi »

Thank you for the tips, I've since been researching Bullet Physics and it seems like it might fit my needs.