[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Separate collision is being called twice

Separate collision is being called twice

Discuss any Chipmunk bugs here.

Separate collision is being called twice

Postby runitzme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 pm

runitzme

Re: Separate collision is being called twice

Postby slembcke » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Do you have multiple shapes on a body? Collision callbacks work on a per shape basis not per body. If you need to deal with multiple shapes you need to keep a counter. Increment it for every begin callback and decrement it for each separate. Then you know if a callback is the first or last one to be called.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby runitzme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 pm

hey slembcke, thanks for your reply. Nope, I don't have multiple shapes...only one shape
runitzme

Postby slembcke » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 am

slembcke
Site Admin

Postby runitzme » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:26 pm

I logged the shape pointers as you said, and sure enough it was the same pair generating the collision both times. And nope, I did not use the sleeping function.

Out of desperation, I created a new project with just the two objects and ran through the scenario again. In the new project, there was only one separation collision being called. So i do not know what is causing the double separation in the original project. The only code differences are the ones that do not relate to the two objects at all (user interfaces, other game objects, etc).
runitzme

Postby runitzme » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:46 pm

FINALLY! I found out why!

Here is what happens: when the object that is falling out of the screen border, it touches a THIRD object as it falls. The first object keeps touching the 3rd object while going through the 2nd object (the screen border). When it separates from the 3rd object, it triggers the separation collision (the first time). This is why the rotation angle mattered, at different angles it wouldn't be touching the 3rd object. And then when it falls out of the border, it triggers the separation collision handler again (2nd time).

Now the 3rd object has a different collision type so I do not know why it is calling the collision handler for the 1st and 2nd object with the same shapes causing the collision. But when i removed the 3rd object, everything works perfectly. Mission accomplished.
runitzme

Postby slembcke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Hmm. That sounds very bizarre. If you can make a project to verify and replicate it as a bug, I'd certainly be interested in trying to fix that.
slembcke
Site Admin

Return to Bugs