Make polygon shapes to snap automatically

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
ybian

Make polygon shapes to snap automatically

Post by ybian »

I want to make 2 polygon shapes to snap together automatically when they are very close. To "snap", I mean one or two vertexes of one shape stick to those of another. I did some investigation but haven't come out with the idea. Can anyone comment?
Tam Toucan

Re: Make polygon shapes to snap automatically

Post by Tam Toucan »

Need a bit more context since there are a million ways to approach this. e.g. have sensors at the points you want to snap together and when the collision is detected create a constraint to pull them together. Or create a sensor around the entire shape, when a collision is detected calc the distance between each of the points yourself and work out how to move the two shapes together. Or create a new polygon which is a combination of the two.
ybian

Re: Make polygon shapes to snap automatically

Post by ybian »

Tam Toucan wrote:Need a bit more context since there are a million ways to approach this. e.g. have sensors at the points you want to snap together and when the collision is detected create a constraint to pull them together. Or create a sensor around the entire shape, when a collision is detected calc the distance between each of the points yourself and work out how to move the two shapes together. Or create a new polygon which is a combination of the two.
Tam, thanks a lot for letting me know the existence of sensors :-) I figured it out by adding sensor shapes around every vertex, and adding/removing constraints in conflict begin/separate handlers. It works nicely.