cpPolyShape collision issues

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
DetectiveCakes

cpPolyShape collision issues

Post by DetectiveCakes »

Has anyone else had weirdness in dealing with collisions between cpPolyShapes and other shapes?

My situation is this: I have some static cpPolyShapes hooked up to a body with infinite mass. I have some cpCirclesShapes that are user controllable. If the user pushes one of the circle shapes against a poly, initially it behaves as expected and bounces away. But if the user keeps pushing it, eventually it sort of "squeezes" through the poly shape and pops out the other side.

A few notes:
-My cpPolyShapes are convex
-The vertices of my cpPolyShapes have been defined in a clockwise direction, in order
-I'm using cpBodySlew to push stuff around. Maybe a problem?
-I don't have this problem with cpCircleShapes hitting other cpCircleShapes or cpSegmentShapes
-Seems to happen most often at/near vertices of a cpPolyShape, and in places where two cpPolyShapes touch/overlap
-I'm not dealing with particularly high velocities or particularly small shapes

Any ideas? Anyone had similar issues, even if you didn't find a solution (just so I know I'm not losing my mind)?

Thanks
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: cpPolyShape collision issues

Post by slembcke »

I've noticed a possibly similar issue. On the planet demo in trunk, it's possible to pull the little boxes right into the surface of the planet. You shouldn't be able to. I haven't figured out yet why this happens or how to fix it yet.

Best thing I can come up with is that the collision detection isn't returning consistent contact points when transitioning from a edge collision to a vertex collision.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
DetectiveCakes

Post by DetectiveCakes »

Thanks for the reply!

This was cross-posted to the cocos-2d iphone forum, had a couple people report a similar issue there. I worked on a 3d physics engine too many years ago, I'll take a peak around... if I come up with anything useful I'll submit a patch (no promises though : ).
ShiftZ

Post by ShiftZ »

Just catched trouble with poly shape. I have bullets flying as poly shapes as suggested in coresponding thread. My level map bounded by 4 segment shapes (walls), and somehow bullets can only break through my walls exactly on corner of map, where segment shapes overlaps eachother. Collision massage not even generated. I have tried to increase wall thickness but with no success. I can capture it by Screen Recorder and post somewhere if need.
DetectiveCakes

Post by DetectiveCakes »

Shiftz: My silly workaround here was to create a circle shape near each vertex, which sticks outside of the poly just a little bit. It's not ideal, but it works. I'd imagine this could be used in your situation as well.

Problems with this approach:
-It's some more overhead. I didn't notice any substantial performance hit (circles seem to be quite efficient), but if you've got a lot going on could be an issue.
-Once in a while the moving body still gets through. I'd say it happens about 10% as often as it used to. Usually seems now that it gets through the intersection of the poly and circle.
-Shapes are naturally just slightly 'lumpy'.

So... that mostly works, sort of.
reklis

Post by reklis »

I have been debugging and searching the forums for a week now, and I think this may be exactly what is happening with my poly shapes.

Is there another workaround besides the circle shapes suggested by @DetectiveCakes? Any new thoughts or suggestions on how to deal with this?
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

I guess I'm not quite sure what the issue is exactly. Though it sounds likely that you want to use raycast bullets.
reklis

Post by reklis »

Is there perhaps some crafty hackery we can do with surface_v at runtime on the collision events to repel the circle from the poly so that it does not "penetrate" the perimeter?
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Surface velocities only affect friction calculations. So that wouldn't help.

Are you sure the issue here isn't the lack of swept collisions?
reklis

Post by reklis »

slembcke wrote:Are you sure the issue here isn't the lack of swept collisions?
No, I'm not sure. I am doing more testing to find the root cause and will report back with my findings.