Optimizing filtering question

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
greyhoundgames

Optimizing filtering question

Post by greyhoundgames »

Was reading through the help and I read that the collision filter function happens after the most expensive call. My question is does the global collision filter default function happen sooner? What I want to acomplish is that things on team X only collide with things not on team X. Meaning I can't use different planes. Basically I want to do the opposite of a plane, you can collide with everything not on your plane. Is there something high level I can use to quickly abort collisions between things on the same team before any hard processing is done? Ideally maybe even before any processing is done(IE it wouldn't even do any checks vs things that are on the same team).
jeapostrophe

Re: Optimizing filtering question

Post by jeapostrophe »

I think that is what the shape group field is for... although I have not used it:

group: Shapes in the same non-zero group do not generate collisions. Useful when creating an object out of many shapes that you don't want to self collide. Defaults to 0;
greyhoundgames

Post by greyhoundgames »

Thanks!
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Yep, groups is what you want.

For the record, all callbacks are looked up at the same time. If one does not exist for the given pair, then it returns the default one. Layers and groups will cause the collision to be discarded before performing the expensive primitive check (circle to segment, poly to poly, etc). The callback is called after the primitive check happens, so you want to use layers or groups if possible then resort to the callback return value.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/