Chipmunk2D Pro vs. Chipmunk@Github

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
Tony Cheung

Chipmunk2D Pro vs. Chipmunk@Github

Post by Tony Cheung »

First, please let me thanks for the great work you have put into Chipmunk.

When evaluating the library I found Chipmunk2D on Github first, after cloning there are few Objective Chipmunk header files in it.
https://github.com/slembcke/Chipmunk2D

While comparing with the files from the download site
http://chipmunk-physics.net/downloads.php

It's obviously some files are missing on the Github clone.

May I know exactly what are the difference them? If one made the iPhone static library (out of the Github clone) into their app, is it legal to redistribute it? :?:
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Chipmunk2D Pro vs. Chipmunk@Github

Post by slembcke »

Chipmunk Pro as of version 6.x included 3 main features: an optimized solver (threads + ARM NEON support), the Autogeometry library that let you turn procedural functions or images into collision geometry, and the Objective-Chipmunk wrapper for Objective-C. In Chipmunk 7 (master branch in GitHub), we have made Objective-Chipmunk BSD licensed, but the optimizations and the Autogeometry are still Pro features.

Chipmunk 7 has pretty much been done for a couple months now except for documentation which I've been having a hard time fitting into my schedule. :-\
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
aisman

Post by aisman »

@slembcke,
You mean we can use the 7.x version for a first try now?
Chipmunk4PB: The fastest way to write games together with PureBasic and the Chipmunk physics engine.
Tony Cheung

Post by Tony Cheung »

@slembcke,

Thanks for your explanation, slembke!

If I am starting to build a game from nothing now, should I stick with the v6.x in Chipmunk Pro or the v7 on GitHub? It looks to me that I should take the v7 route since it's latest, however, as you have pointed out, the lack of documentation would likely burn me out...

Another question - I found that the v7 on Github has much fewer .h files exposed in the Objective-Chipmunk module, would features be limited compared to the v6 Pro version, or somehow a subset of features of v6?

If I get a v6.x license now, will there be a migration plan/procedure for ugprading to the future stable v7? or actually v7 is supposed to be backward compatible?

Thanks again for the great work, and spending time answering!! :P
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

@aisman
If you want to start wrapping it into something, the API should be stable now.

@Tony
v7 overall is quite similar to v6. The biggest things to note are shape filters replacing layers/groups, the new collision handler C API and the more explicit names. What headers are missing? There shouldn't be any missing functionality.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
Tony Cheung

Post by Tony Cheung »

slembcke wrote:...In Chipmunk 7 (master branch in GitHub), we have made Objective-Chipmunk BSD licensed...
Dear Slembcke,

If I go with the Chipmunk v7, should I acknowledge the author (you + Howling Moon Software) somewhere in the app, e.g. put it in the About screen of the app?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am really new to licensing and also want to avoid risking to violate the license/author in any form.

Thanks,
Tony