Chipmunk 4.1.0 Released

Discuss new features and future development.
slembcke
Site Admin

Chipmunk 4.1.0 Released

Post by slembcke »

http://files.slembcke.net/chipmunk/rele ... Latest.tgz

It's been been almost a year since I released 4.0.0 and that is far too long! While this is a release minor release and doesn't contain any new terribly earth-shattering features, it does have a couple of useful ones such as custom integration functions for cpBodies and the ability to do point queries. It also contains many, many bug fixes.

Development over the last year has been somewhat slow as I have a full-time job and have been trying to start a business with a friend of mine. We chose to start with something small, a simple puzzle game that used Chipmunk for physics. Unfortunately for all of you, it only need a fraction of the existing Chipmunk features. Despite trying to start with something small, it was still a lot more work than we expected to take it from beginning to end. It's really true what they say about releasing a finished product. After 90% of the work is done, the remaining 90% of the work is twice as hard. As a result, I've been a bit burned out.

Fortunately for all of you, my friend and I got the OK from our boss to start working part time in the near future. This will give us time to try to tackle something a bit bigger and still get more than 5 hours of sleep a night. Not only are we planning on taking full advantage of Chipmunk this time, but there are many ideas that will require new Chipmunk features. I'll try to make sure that I am releasing early and often.

Beyond that, I've been rather inspired this last week and have already working on a number of nifty new features in a sandbox branch outside of trunk. I'm rather happy with the results. Now that this release is official, I'll be merging that work back into trunk shortly.

For those that want a perma-link:
http://files.slembcke.net/chipmunk/rele ... -4.1.0.tgz
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
ker

Re: Chipmunk 4.1.0 Released

Post by ker »

the download version compiles just fine, i just get a couple of warnings, I guess they could be because I'm using 64-bit

Code: Select all

[ 50%] /home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘findVerts’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:174: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:180: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘findPointsBehindSeg’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:233: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘seg2poly’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:274: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:276: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘findVerts’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:174: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:180: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘findPointsBehindSeg’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:233: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c: In function ‘seg2poly’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:274: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpCollision.c:276: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

[ 58%] [ 61%] /home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpSpace.c: In function ‘queryFunc’:
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpSpace.c:411: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpSpace.c:411: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

[ 73%] /home/oliver/Downloads/Chipmunk-4.1.0/src/cpSpace.c: In function ‘queryFunc’:
Michael Buckley

Post by Michael Buckley »

Scott, thanks so much for the new release. This is coming just in the nick of time for me and my team, and we should have our project out by the end of the year. Congrats on all the work you've put into this. I definitely feel you on the issue of burnouts.

Does this release correspond to a specific svn revision? We've been using the latest svn in our project, but we want to make sure that we're using the most stable version when we ship our 1.0.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

I made a release tag for it (from trunk@r41):
http://chipmunk-physics.googlecode.com/ ... unk-4.1.0/

There is also a 4.1.x branch for any future fixes that would go into minor versions:
http://chipmunk-physics.googlecode.com/ ... unk-4.1.x/
ker

Post by ker »

the current trunk version doesn't compile anymore under linux, patchfile is attached.
I also had to modify ChipmunkDemo.c because it crashed (tried to set the window title before a window was actually existing)
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Patched. I'll have to create separate thread to follow the trunk changes. I'd like to keep this thread relevant to 4.1.0.
ker

Post by ker »

I got 4.1.0 running under windows in a way that is easily portable, too

I modified the CMakeLists long enough to enable them to generate a fully working msvc-solution that allows you to compile a static and a shared chipmunk library and the demo, also if you feel funny you can use the install project to install chipmunk... well, it's basically the linux-features ported to windows

this has currently only been tested with the chipmunk demo, I haven't had time to try this with my own project.
chipmunk_cmake_windows.diff
now you can use the windows-cmake on the main folder. As a target binary folder find some free folder you want the msvc stuff to be in. Press Configure, click the notices away, if you just want to compile, press configure again and click away the messages.
Press ok, click notices away again. (If it's too annoying, removing all "message" commands in the CMakeLists.txt should get rid of them, but you don't do this often anyway)

now you got a fully working msvc-solution freshly generated :)
remember to compile chipmunk_static before the demos, since the demos obviously depend on chipmunk_static

for the demo I made an assumption:
On my system (Vista64 + a bunch of sdks installed) a file called GlU32.lib exists in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib and that folder's sub directory x64
this filename "GlU32" I hardcoded in Demo/CMakeLists.txt
You might need to modify that.

Also another thing, I couldn't figure out how to enable all the optimizations (/Ox and /Ot which are somewhat equivalent to -O3 and --fast-math), So you will need to activate these manually in the msvc projects.
paulrobello

Post by paulrobello »

I have fully ported the latest svn snapshot of the chipmunk 2d physics
engine to native Delphi code, with a few additions and improvements of my own.

I have included the engine and a demo program to show you just a few of its features.

http://www.par-com.net/~paulr/GLScene/chipmunkdemo.zip