isKinematic crashes consistently

Chipmunk2D Bindings for the Unity3D engine
meapps

Re: isKinematic crashes consistently

Post by meapps »

ensomniac wrote:I've updated to the latest, but isKinematic still crashes my app each time it's used. I currently have no solution for freezing a Chipmunk-driven element (other than setting timescale to zero) since sleeping and waking a body causes my app to crash.

I would love a solution for this since it's a requirement in my game. Thanks
Ryan
Ryan just testing it myself but it dont crashes anymore if you set isKinematic to false.
AndyKorth
Site Admin

Re: isKinematic crashes consistently

Post by AndyKorth »

I'm not sure if this is related, but someone recently asked about explicitly setting kinematic bodies to sleep. This doesn't quite make sense if you really think about what a kinematic body does, but it will currently cause a crash.
It doesn’t really make sense to make a kinematic object sleep. Kinematic objects are already not driven by the physics engine, and are instead driven by your code (like a moving platform). So something like a moving platform shouldn’t sleep, since you want the objects it interacts with to move.

If you have kinematic objects that you never move, like the static terrain in the platformer example, they should be static shapes (shapes without bodies), same sort of approach with PhysX. Geometry without bodies is even better than sleeping geometry with a body attached, in terms of performance.