Chipmunk2d for unity3d 4.3

Chipmunk2D Bindings for the Unity3D engine
bluelf

Chipmunk2d for unity3d 4.3

Post by bluelf »

Hi!
Unity3d will bring the new 2d physics engine. Guys, what are you waiting for? Many would like to see chipmunk2d as an official part of unity3d 4.3.
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Chipmunk2d for unity3d 4.3

Post by slembcke »

Well, we did approach them a couple of times in the last couple years actually. We had been hearing rumors for a couple of years that they were working on 2D stuff.

Last GDC I spoke with Aras, who it sounds like was one of the main engineers working on the features. I... don't think he liked me. He wasn't exactly rude, but I definitely got a "don't bother me" vibe from him. When I mentioned that we had a vectorized and threaded solver, his only remark was "but that's not open source right?". I think swept collisions were also a must-have feature over performance or other flexibility in his eyes. That was basically when we decided that we would simply have to do it ourselves if we wanted Chipmunk2D for Unity to exist.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
bluelf

Post by bluelf »

I can only say, moro...
compass3

Post by compass3 »

That sounds bad... What if Unity only support their own 2D physics engine in future? I like Chipmunk2d, it works much better than physX, but if Unity trying to go against chipmunk2D, it will be a big problem for me.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

The worst they could do is to stop offering native plugin support, and that would be a really strange move for them. Lots of people rely on using native plugins, especially on native platforms. I don't think they have any particular reason to do that.

As long as we can get sales, we'll continue to support Chipmunk2D. ;)
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/