Chipmunk for Unity

Chipmunk2D Bindings for the Unity3D engine
meta87

Chipmunk for Unity

Post by meta87 »

Thanks for getting the beta out quick! Really excited to start playing around with it. I'm having an issue running any of the demos on Windows 7, Unity 4.0.0f7 Pro. Whenever I try to run the samples I get a couple of errors:

NullReferenceException ChipmunkManager.FixedUpdate() at ChipmunkManager.cs:12
DllNotFoundExceptionL ChipmunkBinding..cctor at ChipmunkBinding.cs:93

And then Unity crashes. One thing I thought to try was changing to .Net 2.0, but no change.

Everything is working great on my Mac, Unity version 4.1.2f1 Pro. I think I'll try to update Unity versions on Windows, but if you have any ideas to fix this I would appreciate it. Thanks!
AndyKorth
Site Admin

Re: Chipmunk for Unity

Post by AndyKorth »

Hi Meta, thanks for the report.

Try moving the chipmunk.dll from the "ForUnityFree" folder to the Plugins folder. It should find it there- let us know if that works for you.

Unity Windows does work a bit different than Unity Mac, so thanks for your patience. Scott and I are thinking we will automate some of this install process in the future with editor scripts. Thanks!
meta87

Post by meta87 »

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply. That fixed it right up. Really excited about Chipmunk2d after playing around with it for a while. Great work!
Steve Oldmeadow

Post by Steve Oldmeadow »

I've downloaded the July16 Beta but had no joy getting it to work on Unity Free 4.1.5f on Mac OSX. The libChipmunk.dylib is not included in the unitypackage so I've been unable to follow the instructions.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Oof. Apologies for this. We were apparently missing a couple files (Unity Free for OS X needed an extra .dylib and we were missing a .dll in a duplicate location for Windows/Pro). My home internet has been nearly unworkable for the last week or so, so I told Andy I was pretty certain it was good for him to send it out without really being able to test the final .assetbundle thoroughly before it got sent out.

I lugged my desktop machine into our coworking office today so I can do proper testing on both OS X, Windows, Pro and Free. We are also going to script installing the plugin automatically for Unity Free as the explanation seems to have confused some people. We will be sending out another build today. Apologies for the inconvenience. :oops:
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
Steve Oldmeadow

Post by Steve Oldmeadow »

No problems. These are the sorts of issues I expect as a beta tester.

The only issue I have now is that libChipmunk-iPhone.a is not being copied across when doing an iOS build. I fixed it by moving the iOS directory up a level so that it is Plugins/iOS rather than Plugins/Chipmunk2D/iOS.

Also, is the platformer example supposed to have touch controls? I saw you had some virtual controls but haven't investigated it deeply. Not a biggie, my son just wants to play it on his iPod.

Great work on the new installation process.
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

Oh shoot... You are right about the iOS folder. I had actually thought of that a few days ago but forgot to fix it. Whoops. Added that to the todo list...

Virtual controls... yes... I have a script for that, but it's currently disabled in a probably (hopefully?) obvious way. Unfortunately I just got a new laptop a couple of days ago and I'm waiting to hear back from Unity to get my license migrated. If I was at home on my desktop machine I could double check on how to re-enable the virtual controls. IIRC the object for the virtual controls is located underneath the main camera object and it's simply de-activated.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/