Jumpcore 2 [Chipmunk sample code for PC+iOS+Android+Pre]

Share your projects and Chipmunk enhancements.
mcc

Jumpcore 2 [Chipmunk sample code for PC+iOS+Android+Pre]

Post by mcc »

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know I've posted the new version of my Jumpcore framework, intended to be a minimal "starting point" for game development basically consisting of Chipmunk and several other open source libraries packaged together with some glue code. The interesting thing about Jumpcore 2 is it compiles out of the box on Mac, Windows, Linux, iPhone, and Android 2.3. You might find this useful as an alternative to the MoonBuggy demo (...which it still contains a little bit of code from Image).

You can download it [and also find a bunch of documentation] here:

https://bitbucket.org/runhello/jumpcore
Last edited by mcc on Sun May 01, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buschmaster

Re: Jumpcore 2 [Chipmunk sample code for PC+iOS+Android]

Post by Buschmaster »

Very generous of you. :) I'm actually surprised you have it working for Android so well... may make porting my game over a bit easier...
mcc

Post by mcc »

Thanks.. The Android port is the part that still needs the most work. But it does atm get you video, sound, touchscreen support, the only downside is it does require Android 2.3.

Google's Android C++/NDK tools are VERY awkward to use and the documentation and sample code are problematic (the native-activity sample in the ndk does not even compile without tweaks) so if you're going to do an Android port I do suggest at least taking a look at the Android code in Jumpcore as sample code. You may also want to look at my Building for Android instructions because it is very not obvious how to get Google's tools set up (note, I'm not being purely altruistic here, I'm hoping for someone to try out my Android building instructions so they can tell me if there are any errors ^_^).
slembcke
Site Admin

Post by slembcke »

I might have to try this out for my next prototype project.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
mcc

Re: Jumpcore 2 [Chipmunk sample code for PC+iOS+Android+Pre]

Post by mcc »

Just an update to say, in addition to having accelerometer support for mobile platforms in place now (the "falling letters" demo now uses the accelerometer to decide the direction of gravity and is kind of fun now), the version of Jumpcore available on the BitBucket page now works on WebOS (Palm Pre) thanks to a patch from Matthew Pierce.