[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Chipmunk Physics • View topic - Enhancing collision callbacks.

Enhancing collision callbacks.

Discuss new features and future development.

100%
No votes

Total votes : 5

Enhancing collision callbacks.

Postby slembcke » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Enhancing collision callbacks.

Postby viblo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm

As I don't use trunk yet (or, pymunk doesnt use trunk) I haven't voted, but I say go for it! :) With the release cycle of chipmunk it feels like its better to take the hit now, otherwise we never know when/if it will happen. After all, it looks like it's quite easy to convert old code to use the new callback anyway.
http://www.pymunk.org - A python library built on top of Chipmunk to let you easily get cool 2d physics in your python game/app
viblo

Postby slembcke » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:52 am

Ugh. I had a very nice and long post typed up when my F%$#@ing wireless router died. It's barely a year old I think. The wireless stopped responding at least 6 months ago, but at least the ethernet still worked... until now. Two wireless routers to die on me in 3 years. I guess I'll be asking for a new one for Christmas. (end rant)

The grumpy short version of my last post:
I added sensors. Basically the same as Box2D sensors or Unity3D trigger colliders.
I decided on a name and interface for separation functions.
Made a new svn branch for the experimental changes: https://chipmunk-physics.googlecode.com ... nd_sensors
See the pyramid stack demo for a contrived example of both.

(mutters angrily about wireless routers)
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby dieterweb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 am

It is great to see that you are working again on your fantastic library.

I will add your new api enhancements too our project soon.

Thanks,
Thomas
Visit our game Blog: or follow us on twitter:
dieterweb

Postby slembcke » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 pm

slembcke
Site Admin

Postby Tam Toucan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:47 pm

That sounds very nice. Great work. BTW it prompts for a username/password with the google code link.
Tam Toucan

Postby dieterweb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:59 am

Sounds great!

Is the begin callback called before layers and groups of the two colliding shapes are tested?

Thomas
dieterweb

Postby slembcke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:44 am

No, only if the objects actually are tested for a collision and are overlapping. The groups and layers are done first as it's much less expensive than doing a full collision check. I'm not quite sure why you would want that, but it sounds like you want a sensor perhaps. A shape that only calls callbacks but never generates collisions. It was a small mention above, but I've added those too. ;) It took all of like 3 lines of code. Can't believe I waited so long to get around to that one.
slembcke
Site Admin

Postby dieterweb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:39 pm

So, what is the difference between the begin and preSolve callbacks?

I saw that with the sensors,
Will try them, when I find time to update to the current trunk.

Thomas
dieterweb

Postby slembcke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:44 pm

begin is called only the very first step that things collide, preSolve is called every frame that they are touching.

I went ahead and merged the changes back into trunk. I should have some downtime this week from contract work and plan on going nuts trying to get the documentation updated so I can do a proper new release. \o/
slembcke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Features/Development