Build system missing SONAME

Discuss any Chipmunk bugs here.
bdefreese

Build system missing SONAME

Post by bdefreese »

Hi folks,

I am looking at updating Chipmunk in Debian. However, the build system does not set SOVERSION in the cmake files. The original maintainer set the SOVERSION as 0d1 but I am not sure where she came up with that.

I also noticed that the VERSION still says 6.1.4 not 6.1.5, this appears to be fixed in the VCS.

Is there a SONAME that should be used?

Thanks,

Barry deFreese
Debian Games Team
slembcke
Site Admin

Re: Build system missing SONAME

Post by slembcke »

It was removed quite some time ago. Compiling Chipmunk as a shared library is *not* recommended. Since version differences can cause a slight change in the simulation behavior due to floating point rounding issues, substituting a dynamic library can cause things to break. Secondly, I also don't specifically maintain binary compatibility between Chipmunk versions. On occasions, I've added new fields to structs for instance.

Instead, I've always recommended compiling Chipmunk as a static library. Since it's such a tiny library and it's very unlikely to be running more than one process using Chipmunk at a time, there is little to no benefit of having it as a shared library anyway.
Can't sleep... Chipmunks will eat me...
Check out our latest projects! -> http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/
bdefreese

Re: Build system missing SONAME

Post by bdefreese »

OK, thank you for the response. I will have to consider what to do with the package in Debian. I would ask that you maybe reconsider maintaining binary compatibility and/or proper soname versioning for larger systems as it may help you adopt a larger audience.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Barry deFreese
Debian Games Team