Chipmunk as part of a greater infrastructure. Opinions??

Official forum for the Chipmunk2D Physics Library.
Colin Gilbert

Chipmunk as part of a greater infrastructure. Opinions??

Post by Colin Gilbert »

Hi,

I have a long-term vision for my games, which will start with the iPad/Apportable audience, and progress further and further towards a client-server model, culminating in most business logic being run on very powerful servers.

In your opinions, is the Obj-C version of Chipmunk directly integratable into a server environment, or should someone concentrate on developing bindings for their platform of choice? I wish to simply drop my existing gameworld into the server, although my experiences with servers tell me that may be a fanciful, lackadaisical, irresponsible idea.

If you were porting a gameworld into a server environment, would you refactor into Haskell/LISP (which are rather ideal for servers) or would you keep things in Obj-C? What kind of performance does the original, statically-linked C version of Chipmunk offer vs Obj-C? Portable LISP translates directly to C code, which can be statically linked for extremely efficient performance.

However, is focusing on low load average for servers good practice (as many say?) or is it wastefully throwing computing resources at your problems for the sake of comfort? Please opine.

Thanks!
Colin